Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Spring Birdhouses

I am in love with all the new Spring digitals from Gecko Galz!
Pretty birds, glorious florals, magical fairys and so much more!

I was inspired to create these enchanting birdhouses,after watching a Finnabair video on YouTube.

The base for the birdhouses is corrugated cardboard. I cut a birdhouse shape from a box,( in a diamond shape, more or less) cut a circle in the center, then sprayed the whole thing with a misting of water. Then all you have to do, is peel away bits of the top layer of cardboard, revealing the corrugated part. 
Next, trace your shape onto a thin piece of chipboard, and cut the circle out.glue this piece onto back.
I cut a slightly larger circle out of shrink plastic, and glued it over the back hole.
The roof was made by taking thin strips of chipboard, bending it into an arch, and gluing it to the 2 top sides.
Punch a hole in the bottom of the birdhouse, and add an eyelet.
Decide on whether you want a light or dark background, then paint the entire piece in either white or black gesso
 Make 2 twig bundles. I used 3 twigs for each bundle, and tie them up with ribbon.
Glue to each side of the roof. ( I used 
a glue gun)
Decorate the house in filigrees, metal stampings, bits and baubles. 
Repaint the whole house, including the twig bundles, in your gesso again.
Assemble your decorations. I picked out a color scheme, then choose paper flowers, feathers, glass bits, moss,my bottom dangles, and the digital designs I wanted to feature.
Decorate your house as you like. So many possibilities! 
I left the circle cutout bare, but you could add alcohol ink, or a paper design.

Hope I have inspired you to make your own magical birdhouse! 

2 comments:

  1. The Spring birdhouses are amazing Kim, you are so clever and creative

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning bird houses, Kim - thanks for explaining how you made them! Love the twigs and feathers along with the glass beads so much detail to look at. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. I enjoy reading all your comments! Come back and visit anytime.

Since this is a public blog, please remember your name and blog info is visible to all.

March Gecko Galz DT Challenge-Magical Mushrooms

 This months challenge for Gecko Galz is MAGICAL MUSHROOMS Dude! Digital Page Magical Mushroom Forest Wonderland Tea House Wonderful Dream J...